Thursday, May 19, 2011

Cut, Cull, Include

Justify Full
Currently I'm reviewing our homeschool. It happens regularly. I frequently question the validity and effectiveness and worthwhile-ness (a new word out of necessity :D) of what we do in our home. Everything is under fire and examination and it's time-consuming! Should we have so many extra activities, are homeschool meets worth the effort, how is my time-management, is the curriculum we're using consuming too much of our boys all important play time, how much of their time should I control constructively, can I include more art etc.

There is so much more on my mind but what I do know is that for many reasons, particularly critical thinking, board games, like reading aloud, need to be included daily.

This week we were watching childrens program Behind the News together and they reported the inclusion and benefits of board games as part of the school curriculum. I was already aware that author and school principal of The Candlebark School, John Marsden includes Chess as part of the schools curriculum to enhance math skills. Linking to Behind the News online is a Scholastic article touting the social and educational benefits of playing board games.

I've tried googling with little success for some scientific study to support the validity of including board games in the curriculum but realize without the scientific backup that if I encourage our boys to play a board game of some description regularly they will benefit socially through the interaction of cooperation and will learn fair play by following the rules and that their critical thinking development through strategy and planning will be enhanced. But the benefits are a bonus. Seeing our boys playing together happily like this is valuable in itself.

1 comment:

Helen said...

You're such a lovely Mamma Jane!!! Sending you and your family lots of love.