Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Living Life Extra-Ordainary


My life as a kid was, well, I have to admit it, pretty dull. We didn't 'do' sport or join in with community events, definitely didn't volunteer or really see too much of friends outside of school. I honestly wonder now how I managed to survive childhood and not die of total boredom. I was happy enough for sure but after living life with my two boys I'm so glad that I've learned that childhood and parenthood can be so much more.

I wouldn't mind swapping our rather busy days over for more quiet and admittedly better quality time but life never works like those happy balance scales. It really is all or nothing in the 'can do' business.


So back when we were involved with the community theater production of The Music Man, I befriended an artist who was working on the back drops and we helped out a little. Now a few months later I'm going to regular art lessons (and struggling horribly too!) and have watched Mr Artist produce a few pieces for community events for free! But what you're seeing pics of now is a commissioned piece at a local private school on their abseiling wall. Not only is the work amazing but the time frame of completion is an expected two weeks. Two weeks! And here it is nearly complete.



And the all or nothing that I talk about in our lives well, the scales are fully tipped into the busy side of things but would you not take your children out to hang out and watch artists in progress and ride the scissor lift if they had the opportunity?


Truly stunning work :)


These were taken yesterday but this isn't all we did. Oh no. There are more hours in a day it seems to pack in life. Mr Artists wifey, The Bird Lady has an affinity with birds and she buys pet mince specifically to feed the Magpies and Butcherbirds that visit their home. She has saved a few from perishing this way too. Having cuppas in her front yard the Bird Lady tells my boys all about her feathered company and how to tell their differences. Who's young, old, male, female and breed. She shares it all with my boys.




Heading home my boys spied the 'new' overpass (it was opened September 2010) and begged to investigate it. Things that we find so ordinary or perhaps don't even see anymore is still exciting and new to them and I love sharing in their excitement.



So that was Monday. A sample of our days of late. If we're not visiting artists at work, we're making the most of friends being on holidays - although not as much as we'd like as Kangaroo has come down with a nasty chest cough- whilst our poor furry friends wait patiently at home for things to peter out and for us to return to steady days at home.


And there's still time to freeze our toys and fill up balloons in the bath to experiment with and go for big bike rides and play, play, play with a little lesson work on the side.


Commitments to keep.


And meals to be shared.


Everything will settle down again soon enough. Just in time for us to be wondering.... what next?!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you at last. love your sister. xxx ooo