Thursday, November 6, 2008

what we learn that has nothing to do with 'school'

I know and almost everyone knows that we 'do school' through Distance ED School and I really use that term loosely but I tell you people, LIFE is education!!!!!

Yesterday (because I was in a state with our nearly week away looming, DH op to stress over, the boys cousins sleeping over and a tremendous sweet 16
th birthday cake happening in stages to be ready by tonight and playgroup having finished and convinced Kanga he really needs a nap) I turned the TV on for Kookaburra and bless ABC, Kookaburra's show 'Naked Science' was on - BUT before changing to that channel the elections were on, with numerous crowds celebrating, crying, and going mental - duly so being that Obama had just won the American Presidency. Now politics aside, my curious little fella wanted to know what all the fuss was about. Well... I say, taking a big breath and in the ten minutes or so that followed we talked and discussed (in no particular order)
* the difference between a president and our prime minister
* who our prime minister is and who the last bloke was
* we then talked about the Labour and Liberal parties and very generally what it means to belong to a 'party', no cake and streamers
Kookaburra : (
* the queen and the commonwealth, where the Lady lives
* history in the terms of
American black slavery and civil rights, African Americans and women's right to vote
*what it means to vote
and therefore all of the above equalling why the American election is historically significant
and I know there was more but my crap memory and remembering verbatim doesn't work for me and
Kanga has woken and needs me BUT my friends as you can see - we don't need school to learn what life is really about because we can live life instead and be the smarter for it.

What children need whether they are part of the system or not is an inquiring mind, encouragement to be
curious and to not have to WAIT the proper time to be TAUGHT things. They need family, friends and mentors who are willing to give enough of themselves to impart knowledge in the 'lighting of a fire' kind of way, not the 'filling of an empty bucket' method. Children (and adults) need active and honest, open discussions about things when they are ready whether it be later or earlier than the standards set by the powers that be. And I am PROUD to add that Kookaburra discussed these things with me, he was interested in what is happening and horrified that slavery had occurred - that is in his heart now, would it have been if it came from a dry text and a worn out, harangued school teacher?

ahhh... gotta go! Thanks to my DH from our boys and I. Homeschooling is an incredible gift and we thank you so much for it.

PS
Kanga has been learning too!!! Kookaburra has been telling him about our flags, Aboriginal, Australian and the parts of. Thanks to Kookaburra, Kanga recognizes the Union Jack and the Southern Cross. Tell me which Childcare prep program would teach my littlest son that because he asked!!!! Kookaburra is a blessing : ) (I'm sure I'll be whinging and worrying again soon enough : )

Peace

If my thoughts in this ramble aren't cohesive, I'm sure if you read it a few times you'll get the drift, he he!!!

oh, and after all that Liam watched his 'cool' science show
: )

3 comments:

Helen said...

Oh Jane - you are such an inspiration!! YOUR BOYS ARE BLESSED BEYOND WORDS TO HAVE A MOTHER WHO IS SO (sorry about the capitals)interested in them, their learning, and their world around them. I pray that you will find great joy in teaching them and that the family bond will grow even stronger. You're a legend Jane. Lots of love Helen.

SF said...

Amen to all that you said!!! Yes, I understood it, it was really very cohesive! :)
I can't agree more that the spontaneous, natural learning is the best kind. When children ask and listen to your answer, are encouraged to ask questions, etc., they learn and sponge in SO much! They need more conversation than we can provide in a day, sometimes! Great that Liam continues to love learning, you are doing a great great great job Jane, be encouraged!

Anonymous said...

It's enjoyable to read your enthusiasm!

The learning/teaching methods we research, the curriculum we purchase, it all means nothing if we don't make the time for those spontaneous learning opportunities. :)