I long for a more simplistic and innocent way of life but I have to be honest, I am so glad for our supermarkets.
During Autumn, our program for Kangaroo explored preparation for winter. We lightly touched on how animals take care of this, particularly squirrels.
Our follow up activity was to make 'Nut Butter'. Very simple, all that was needed were the nuts (any variety) and vegetable oil to act as a binder and preservative. We chose regular peanuts, already roasted and in the shell, but if you choose raw nuts be sure to roast them at about 180 degrees for a few minutes either side and keep watch as nuts burn quickly (I'm great at that part :)
Kangaroo and Kookaburra shelled their nuts.
A very looong process, but enjoyable. Made me feel like we were spending real quality time together, we were so companionable and laughed a lot. After eating lots of the scrummy roasted nuts, enough did make it into the bowl to be processed.
Yum, Mum :)
To the food processor we put one cup of nuts to two tablespoons of vegetable oil and then blended the ingredients on medium speed until it reached a peanut butter type consistency.
Taste testing.
Approval.
Bottled.
This took so long to do, we enjoyed it heaps but I'm reluctant to do it again for so little product. That's what I mean by thank goodness for modern life because yonks ago there wasn't even a food processor to speed it all along.
Kangaroo and Kookaburra regularly ask for a repeat of this activity and recall it as being well worth the effort as their 'Nut Butter' was the best ever :)
Doesn't Kangaroo looked incredibly pleased.
As for the innocence that I mentioned at the start. Well, our boys are kind of a little sheltered, they had no idea that when I was killing myself laughing at them when they were singing
"Look at our nuts, look at our gigantic big nuts!!!!"
that I was laughing for an entirely different reason to their own.
1 comment:
Ooh, you have pimped it! But what are these modern conveniences you speak of?
Post a Comment