And what am I doing to help?
And I would turn on the TV, but it's so embarrassing,
To see all the other people, I don't know what they mean.
And it was magic at first when they spoke without sound,
But now this world is gonna hurt.
You'd better turn that thing down.
Turn it around.
"Well, it wasn't me," says the boy with the gun,
"Sure I pulled the trigger, but it needed to be done,
Because life's been killing me ever since it begun.
You can't blame me, 'cuz I'm too young."
"You can't blame me; sure the killer was my son,
But I didn't teach him to pull the trigger of the gun.
It's the killing on this TV screen.
You can't blame me; it's those images he's seen."
"Well, you can't blame me," says the media man,
"Well I wasn't the one who came up with the plan.
And I just point my camera what the people want to see.
Man, it's a two-way mirror and you can't blame me."
"You can't blame me," says the singer of the song
Or the maker of the movie which he bases life on.
"It's only entertainment and as anyone can see,
Its smoke machines and make up man, you can't fool me."
It was you, it was me, it was every man.
We've all got the blood on our hands.
We only receive what we demand,
And if we want hell, then hell's what we'll have.
And I would turn on the TV, but it's so embarrassing.
To see all the other people, don't even know what they mean
And it was magic at first, but let everyone down,
And now this world's gonna hurt.
You'd better turn it around.
To see all the other people, I don't know what they mean.
And it was magic at first when they spoke without sound,
But now this world is gonna hurt.
You'd better turn that thing down.
Turn it around.
"Well, it wasn't me," says the boy with the gun,
"Sure I pulled the trigger, but it needed to be done,
Because life's been killing me ever since it begun.
You can't blame me, 'cuz I'm too young."
"You can't blame me; sure the killer was my son,
But I didn't teach him to pull the trigger of the gun.
It's the killing on this TV screen.
You can't blame me; it's those images he's seen."
"Well, you can't blame me," says the media man,
"Well I wasn't the one who came up with the plan.
And I just point my camera what the people want to see.
Man, it's a two-way mirror and you can't blame me."
"You can't blame me," says the singer of the song
Or the maker of the movie which he bases life on.
"It's only entertainment and as anyone can see,
Its smoke machines and make up man, you can't fool me."
It was you, it was me, it was every man.
We've all got the blood on our hands.
We only receive what we demand,
And if we want hell, then hell's what we'll have.
And I would turn on the TV, but it's so embarrassing.
To see all the other people, don't even know what they mean
And it was magic at first, but let everyone down,
And now this world's gonna hurt.
You'd better turn it around.
Turn it around.
4 comments:
Hello Jane, if you are looking for something to listen to while walking... I love to listen to sermons from Rob Bell and worship music from his Mars Hill church. He is the pastor who has created the Nooma series of DVDs. Pastor Rob has also written several books I think you will enjoy.
http://robbell.com/
http://www.marshill.org/
Check it out next time you are online. Have a good week:)
Amazing lyrics. I find we're watching less and less tv. Even the ad's for shows on the ABC between playschool and the educational programs grate on me! We've actually stopped watching morning tv and it's more peaceful. But I love a good movie on a Friday night. :)
Can't believe you're still walking in the mornings in this weather- go girl!
Definitely watch some Nooma dvd's if you can- they are AMAZING. I think the Bentley's have some.
Sorry we missed dance today- the chickens got out and we couldn't get them away!! Took us an hour :( Remember, there's no dance for us tomorrow. Sorry for the ramble. :) Goodnight!!
So true! TV has such potential as a medium, but comes nowhere near to reaching that potential. Why don't we demand that it does? Why do we sit and allow ourselves to be spoonfed trash? Why do we not worry about our kids being exposed to sexuality and violence and rampant consumerism, thereby condoning it? If TV could deliver shows that were truly interesting and thoughtful I might even buy one :P
I think that in our society we've become conditioned to sitting back and accepting whatever the powers that be dole out, whether it be crap TV, poorly tested GM foods or the myth of the perpetual growth economy. And in the meantime we've forgotten that WE are the ones with the power, we are the consumers and we can change things. But we don't care enough, we're too busy pointing the finger and expecting someone else to fix it for us while we continue to sit and watch idiocy like Big Brother and Today Tonight that demeans the watcher by blatantly assuming they're an idiot.
OK, i'll stop now, my ranting tendencies are showing *blushes*
PS-Try John Butler Trio for more thoughtful lyrics, I love!
Thanks everyone, will look into the various suggestions.
Post a Comment