Saturday, July 18, 2009

Sweet Things


Today Kangaroo was with just me. The two of us together and it was absolutely lovely. Kangaroo is charming and bright and I love him so much but because our time here gets so crowded sometimes I don't get to see this and we definitely don't take time to simply be. I didn't necessarily plan today but I knew Mr E and my brother had big post birthday plans for Mr E's bday but they were only able to take Kookaburra and my niece, so I knew I had Kangaroo all to myself. I was nearly the fool and thought to burn this precious time on what I viewed was necessary but fortunately a new resolve on priorities made this past week, came to our rescue. I'll post them here so I will remember....

1. Spirit
2. Husband
3. Children
4. Home/Family
5. Friends

Having these priorities listed is going to help provide the clarity I need over what is important and what can wait.

So today, Kangaroo and I escaped our house and had a milkshake and donuts and a lovely conversation over his new 'Roary the Racing Car' colouring in book which he had paid for himself at the bookshop. He charmed everyone everywhere we went and was praised repeatedly for being so good and chatty. I desperately need some nice new clothes, so Kangaroo helped me shop and his endurance whilst a woman tries on clothes was admirable and I just know his future wife will be thankful for the training I've put in ;)

Naptime seemed so long as I really missed his company but when Kangaroo did finally rejoin me I asked if he would like to walk to the nearby park, just he and I again. Such lovely chats about this and that on the way. A horse and its rider ambled past us, the sky was crisp blue and the company and chatter was so sweet, all of this was only marred by the gradual increasing length of our shadows reminding me to really enjoy this precious time.

I want to remember pushing my beautiful boy on the swing and listening to him hum and sing, and recite nursery rhymes. Possibly my favourite thing has been Kangaroo beginning to recite 'The Swing' with me by RL Stevenson and making letters in the sand because he wants too.

Today was so happy, no housework was done but my baby boy and I, we made time to be still for a bit and play.

I vow to make it happen often.

We made a song for the swing and he was obviously happy because he said this is about me with his smug happy smile:

One, you're lots of fun
Two, I love you
Three, happy as can be
Four, it's you I adore
Five, it's great to be alive
Six, pick up stix (?)
Seven, we're in heaven
Eight, great mate
Nine, we're feelin' fine
Ten, do it all again?

'Yep!' says Kangaroo.

And the icing on the cake has been whilst I was dressing Kangaroo after bath, "Mummy, did you like going to the park with me today?", to which of course I replied, "I certainly did!" and what did my sweet thing say to that? "My pleasure," with that lovely little grin of his.

3 comments:

SF said...

Jane, you've just brought tears to my eyes. :) What a wonderful day!
I totally know what you mean - that one-on-one time is so precious, and too rare around here too. So glad you had the chance, and hope we all can make it happen more often. So good for us and for our little ones!
Have a beautiful Sunday. :)
Saminda. xo

Helen said...

Dear Jane - don't you just love being able to rediscover your children again!!! I find I get so preoccupied with trying to teach them that I actually forget to just enjoy being with them. Love your list of priorities! It's all so hard, this balancing of everything isn't it! One foot in front of the other, lots of prayer and a few glasses of good wine goes a long way!! Much love to all over there at your place from us over here at our place.

Theresa said...

Oh Jane, what a wonderful day. I too, always try and treasure those little one on one times. And what a beautiful way to finish a wonderful day by saying "it's my pleasure."