Two weeks after my holiday with my sister and mother, here are the pics from glorious Byron Bay and her stunning surrounds. And it's a great time to post this too as my boys are sick and it's been an all round, pretty darn difficult few days. They've been miserable and I have such difficulty thinking of what the right thing to say to them when they're squabbling or how exactly to help them along when they get frazzled. Secretly, I could throw my hands up and hide out in my bedroom with my arms wrapped around my knees, which of course are huddled tightly to my body in the universal comfort/ protection almost come fetal type position and refuse to acknowledge the current 'joy' that motherhood is. It's my fault too. I've been hormonal, grumpy and snappy and after trying for a several years for babies we still have no signs of any more gracing us with their sweet cherubness in our home. Definitely a tick for the misery and woe box. A real current kicker though is that my poor Kookaburra has gone to bed tonight fairly certain he'll be waking up vomiting. Ah me. He says he hates being sick because he's certain it's how you feel when you're dying!
We've still struggled on with a few lessons but we still seem to suffer interruptions in our morning which is frustrating. Whether it's the Jehovah's Witnesses door knocking (every week!) or a relative dropping by. I love my family but homeschooling is my job :) Today we had my nephew who is also sick. He spent the entire weekend gone vomiting. It's horrible seeing them so ill. So having him here meant I couldn't do much with Kangaroo. Things just aren't going well. Kangaroo did have tummy pains but this seems to have passed and now he's just run down with a miserable cold. And all this whilst I'm trying to introduce how fun Five In A Row is! I've had it for a while and was going to sell it but thought I should give it a decent go before I did that. After all, it's so coveted therefor it must be great... right? I'll let you know how we go, when we've had a chance to give it a decent try and what I'm doing to tweak it into something more substantial. If we ever get better that is!
Huge whinge I know, but blogger is a great place to let the reality out.
So this is definitely an excellent time for me to post those beautiful holiday pics. I had so much trouble trying to choose which to post though! I absolutely loved my time away :) Aaah bliss :)
This was our tremendous accommodation for our two nights away. It's called The Old Church and is situated in Newrybar, near Byron Bay. I have to mention how much we paid because it was so very little - $175 per night for the three of us! This old renovated church had about eleven beds and a massive usable kitchen, a playroom with a ping pong table and a deck with a barbecue overlooking a blossoming cherry tree flanked by a massive macadamia grove. Magical :)

We had a little poke around in Byron Bay when we first arrived but we were pretty keen to get to see this Church so I set the GPS and of course it took us right off the beaten track and up a goat trail for a good half hour or so when in actuality we could have kept on the highway, turning off at the township of Newrybar and been at The Old Church's door in a minute. That happens to me all the time when I'm traveling. I miss my maps sometimes - I'm way smarter than the GPS ;) but the long way round was much better. The scenery was gobsmackingly beautiful! Green rolling valleys and sheer drop aways, with fat cows munching grass and gazing lazily out to the sea in the far distance. Envious muchly!


We had a little poke around in Byron Bay when we first arrived but we were pretty keen to get to see this Church so I set the GPS and of course it took us right off the beaten track and up a goat trail for a good half hour or so when in actuality we could have kept on the highway, turning off at the township of Newrybar and been at The Old Church's door in a minute. That happens to me all the time when I'm traveling. I miss my maps sometimes - I'm way smarter than the GPS ;) but the long way round was much better. The scenery was gobsmackingly beautiful! Green rolling valleys and sheer drop aways, with fat cows munching grass and gazing lazily out to the sea in the far distance. Envious muchly!
The views as we drove!
After checking out and squealing crazily about our awesome digs for our stay we drove on to Ballina which is a lovely town... with a great coffee and cake shop. The weather was freezing and raining and the muted late afternoon light had us seeking the comfort of this lovely cafe with their gorgeous warm colours enveloping us as we devour tantalizing sweets and hot sweet drinks. This was our perfect introduction to the area. That and of course the book shop, the bottle-o for some birthday drinkies and where ever else we felt the desire to wander into.
The next day was my sister's big day. Forty! Here it was and we were bound to make it a beautiful day. Pancakes for breakfast at Macadamia castle and a little gift shopping for our loved ones at home followed by our trip to Mullumbimby and up to Crystal Castle. I'd been looking forward to visiting Crystal Castle so much. It promised to be a breathtaking place to visit and it truly was.

Even though we couldn't explore this unique place the way we would have loved too because we were hampered by frequent downpours but we did have complementary massive rainbow striped umbrellas to help us keep us dry, I'm still under it's spell and can't wait to go back. The gorgeous gardens and beautiful stones and the shop! Divine :)


What a brilliant birthday we thought. Nothing could top driving a winding road to what seemed to be the top of a mountain and being immersed in such a beautiful, peaceful place. Oh how wrong was I!

Grumpy bums that we are, we nearly gave the Byron Bay Lighthouse a miss because a brochure said that we would need to pay $7 for parking and then a fee to go into the lighthouse. Ba Hum Bug! $7 for parking, grumble, grumble. But we went anyway. The wind fairly whipped around us and my teeth chattered because I swear it was tipped with ice from the Antarctic. We arrived a little before sunset and the beautiful pinks and oranges were painting the sky as the sun shyly hid behind the clouds to slowly and beautifully say his good nights. A truly spectacular way to end a fortieth birthday. We stood in the freezing air, shivering and soaking up the wildness of the place and the beauty of the sea crashing against the sheer face of the bay. Reluctantly we left to grab some groceries for a birthday barbecue. I'll treasure that magnificent place, the day, the view and my lovely company. It's a place I'll visit when I'm dreaming.



So Happy!

We stayed up ridiculously late on Thursday night, each of us taking a turn at napping through Lost in Austen and eventually crawled into bed.
It was a sad goodbye on Friday but my naughty sis still found some joy in jumping on her bed!
Pose for me sugar ;)
Our Mumma and me. Muuma Bear had a relaxing time and she well deserved it too. I'm so lucky to have gotten this time away to spend with my sis on her special birthday and growing our relationships and friendships. We're all supposedly saving hard to try and make it happen all again next year. I know that we would all dearly love to explore this beautiful area some more.
When we were at Mullumbimby we were recommended the cafe at Newrybar which is one of only a few shops in the one street town. We had a very sweet goodbye breakfast there and it was the most happening and busy cafe! And the food was delicious :)
And finally Beautiful Byron Bay. Simply stunning.
Where musicians playing on the beach abounded. Wouldn't we all like to just pick up our uke and strum a few lines before soaking up some more rays or having a splash.
Sad, sad goodbye.
Happy 40th Birthday Sister Sunshine!
Had to share the gifts I scored for my boys. Quirky fair trade beanies which were an absolute bargain ;) Don't they look so darn cute!
And as always, my wonderful Mr E was dependable and lovely. He took time off work to be our boy wrangler and they all had a good time hanging out, playing games and fishing. But we were all pretty happy to be back together again no matter how good the holiday may have been :).
2 comments:
Awesome photos. Might have to check out that place as well. And you know what - you are allowed to put a sign on your door and say "Homeschooling happening here, please do not disturb". It's your home. You can answer the door or the phone only when it is convenient to you! Hope everyone gets better quickly and that things return to normal for you.
Awesome photos!! Excellent blogging, makes me want to go back right now, lol. Cant wait for next year, except for the aging thing. Love you. Thanks Mat.
Post a Comment