I'm finding that as I scratch the surface of history, the similarities in myths and legends from varying cultures and time periods definitely support one God, but the thing is... Who 's right? Or are they all versions of one truth. Chinese whispers? I've had this on my heart for a while....

"What is a Unitarian?
This is a very perplexing question."What" may not be the proper question and but "who."
A Unitarian may be a person from any nation or race.
He or she is a person with great cares and concerns.They are people who care about and strive for the good of man.
A Unitarian is a person who believes there is one God.They do not seek to place labels on the way to worship Him.
They do not seek to restrict how others may relate to Him.A Unitarian is a person who seeks to live in harmony and peace.
They recognize all of humanity as family and kin.
They seek to love and serve in anyway they can.
A Unitarian seeks to learn and grow in knowledge and wisdom.They seek out the best instruction in all the world religions.
They seek to live out the unity and principles as best they can.
A Unitarian will accept no limiting doctrine or creed imposed on them.
They listen to the still small voice that they have within.
They follow the guidance of the Spirit wherever it may lead.
A Unitarian has only two great principles to observe.

"What is a Unitarian?
This is a very perplexing question."What" may not be the proper question and but "who."
A Unitarian may be a person from any nation or race.
He or she is a person with great cares and concerns.They are people who care about and strive for the good of man.
A Unitarian is a person who believes there is one God.They do not seek to place labels on the way to worship Him.
They do not seek to restrict how others may relate to Him.A Unitarian is a person who seeks to live in harmony and peace.
They recognize all of humanity as family and kin.
They seek to love and serve in anyway they can.
A Unitarian seeks to learn and grow in knowledge and wisdom.They seek out the best instruction in all the world religions.
They seek to live out the unity and principles as best they can.
A Unitarian will accept no limiting doctrine or creed imposed on them.
They listen to the still small voice that they have within.
They follow the guidance of the Spirit wherever it may lead.
A Unitarian has only two great principles to observe.
- They will love and serve the one God.
- They will love and serve their fellow man.
A Unitarian is a very rare breed in the world today.
They do not seek to control, but to serve others in their journey.
They strive to the worthy to be called Children of the One."
By Rev. Dorris -
Source:
http://www.beliefnet.com/boards/message_list.asp?boardID=16839&discussionID=433129
This folk song by Dar Williams isn't related to the above Unitarian Statement but it does support my multi-faith tolerance and acceptance stance.
I wonder if this is fence sitting though or is it possible to be eclectic in faith.
8 comments:
The reason there are not many unitarians in the world today is because of the fact that truth is absolute. This inability to shift the goalposts makes it difficult to pick and choose the best of the world's religions when the basis for those tenets are so much at odds with each other. "Thou shalt not kill" is a long standing Judaic doctrine that applies to human life. Buddha extended this to all life including animals, which on the surface is a wonderful thing. But if you consider that you have to allow the malaria carrying mosquito to bite you then it becomes problematic, especially if you are poor and cannot buy medication.
You cannot choose one God without choosing the teachings of that God, and contrary to the belief of many, all religions do not lead to the same God. Christianity believes in one God comprising of three persons - Father, Jesus Christ, and the Holy Spirit. Islam believes in one God - Allah, and relegates Jesus Christ to the level of human prophet. Hinduism believes in 330,000 gods. Buddhism has no god at all. Obviously this creates major problems when you embrace one God, reject some of his teachings for that of another god(s), knowing that the potential is there to accept an irreconcilable paradox as truth.
I encourage you to keep searching. The elusive treasure is not as elusive as you might think!
Cameron
Hi Cameron, I think eclectic is not what I mean but rather a universal truth. There appears to be an unceasing multitude of takes on the Christian God and we can see that in the numerous denominations and variations of the bible. I think, (and it's not revolutionary, just one quiet persons reflection on the confusion of religion) that these are many different versions of the one truth. I'm not prepared to settle on the religion that is predominant in our society or perhaps on any religion at all without the due thought and process that such a leap would require. I'm not referring to religions without one God but do mean one creator. I appreciate your input, hence the reason for my blogging this. I had a look at your blog, interesting but so far in depth that I think I would drown reading it. I appreciate that you look to a deeper understanding of the Bible and will read your blog but I can't say I'll truly understand what your saying!!!! I think that understanding comes with time and experience, and exposure to new thought. My approach to the question of God is that I'm unwilling to submit to what is the predominant faith in our society without first examining how it came to be, and it's other (I believe) derivatives (I understand you have some knowledge of the Koran, I'm yet to approach it but in time I will). I think that if there is a God, we've been given brains to think with and it would be an insult to the intelligence to not think more widely. I do also realize the christian stance is that those who use their intelligence first will not find God, but we need to approach it with a child like faith. I think that's glorified and insulting and designed to create submissiveness through maintaining naivety. But these are my thoughts and I respect yours. Glad to see your commenting on here. Hope you and your lovely wife and bouncy boys are all doing great.
Dear Jane - whew!!! I'm not even sure what to write here - I think you've probably given all this a whole lot of thought, maybe even a lot more than me.
But as I go on through my journey of being a "Christian", there is a lot of things that I am learning.
I'm not so sure that Jesus wants anything to do with our "religion". I believe that there is a possibility that we have made a lot of it up, to put God in a box so to speak.
The one thing that I am absolutely positive about, is that God loves all of us so much, just how we are, and would do anything (actually, He already has!) to have a relationship with us. That kind of knowledge makes me want to have a relationship with Him. One that I try to improve every day.
The rest of it, I'm still working on figuring it out.
Sorry, didn't mean to preach. I meant to encourage you.
Take care Jane, and I hope you find your answers.
P.S. (just goes to show I can't get all my thoughts into one comment)
Get a hold of the book "The Shack" if you can (I haven't got it but want to get a copy so if you can't get it, I'll get mine to you).
I think it gives an amazing picture of who God is. Got me thinking.
Hi Helen, I really like what you had to say. Thank you. In particular
I'm not so sure that Jesus wants anything to do with our "religion". I believe that there is a possibility that we have made a lot of it up, to put God in a box so to speak.
This is what I wonder but then that would revoke 'God's Word' and from the my last bible study they say and I understand that Bible is intrinsic to the belief because it is 'the Living Word - His Word'
As for 'The Shack' I didn't enjoy it and it didn't reinforce for me that there is the Christian God. But then I couldn't get past the topic that the author had chosen to write about to illustrate his point. It was powerful until I realized where it was going, then I stopped because I have enough in my head already without that. I did flick through and I got what the author was saying but it didn't work for me. A friend recently gave me a book called 'Battlefield of the Mind' by Joyce Meyer, I'm not sure if that's what I want either but I thin I'll enjoy reading it. Great to hear from you Helen :)
Hi again Jane! I truly appreciate the process that you are going through in determining this question in your life. I went down a very similar route and had very similar questions, so I'll offer up the following if I may:
1. Denominationalism is a man-made idea. All the Christian denominations agree on 99.5% of doctrine and divide on the remainder based more on how rather than what.
2. Variations between bibles are cosmetic. Some translate word for word, others phrase for phrase, still others transliterate, but they still retain the meaning of the original manuscripts, only word it differently. Those bibles that change verse meanings or "edit" verses are usually put out by organisations that do not hold to the foundational doctrines of the Christian faith.
3. "I'm not prepared to settle on the religion that is predominant in our society or perhaps on any religion at all without the due thought and process that such a leap would require." That is a brilliant statement and I commend your position.
4. I actually disagree with the idea that those who use their intelligence first will not find God. The search is a very intellectual process of asking questions and seeking answers. Intellectualism requires an open mind to examine the facts on their merits, but sadly many have a closed mind when it comes to analysing the evidence. I believe that having a child-like faith comes after the conclusion not before.
5. My blog is definitely not for the seeker like yourself. I appreciate that you had a read but I won't pretend that you won't sink if you keep coming back at this point!
Once again I appreciate the journey that you are on. I have a bit of stuff on comparative and alternative religions which I am happy to make available to you.
Blessings
Cameron
Thanks Cameron, I will take you up on the offer of the materials. Thankyou also for coming back and not being offended by my reply. I can't tell you just how much I worried over it and how you would receive it. Words on the screen aren't flavoured with our true expression.
What you had to say about denominations and bible variations is something I had thought, but how do we truly know? People study the hebrew, greek and latin languages so they can read closer to the original text so as to minimise translation error, as some words and phrases in another language just do not translate. I also realize that what I'm doing, by focusing on this could be part of our human nature. The gift of free will, to be defiant and go the other way, I always have that in the back of my mind while I'm contemplating all this. Analyzing true motives.
I like to see how things fit so if you don't mind lending your materials for a while, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks.
Hope things are well for you in the work arena. In case no-one has mentioned it to you lately - Thank goodness for Paramedics :) We're all so glad you're there!!!!
Peace
JM
Hi Jane. Definitely no offense taken. I'll get the materials together for you and get them to you.
Thanks for the thanks!!!
Blessings
Cameron
Post a Comment