Friday, March 12, 2010

Scribbles

Had some time recently to pull out my beautiful new book Anatomy for Fantasy Artists. We spent a lovely evening together exploring the first two lessons.


... a few vodka cruisers joined us too ;)

I was very patient, working methodically so I could gain a slightly better understanding of the human skeleton and how to translate this knowledge into convincing postures. The second, lesson, well .... Aaargh! I found it a bit overwhelming. I will have to spend a bit of time on (and I knew this, it was just a very blunt reminder) human musculature and how the muscles in action work. I think I definitely need a better book than this visually beautiful offering, there just isn't enough instruction.

I really look forward to the day when I can attend classes!









This alien chickie is from the same book. I used soft pastel pencils which are lovely to work with and are great for blending. I enjoyed the exercise and learnt from it, my one real regret is that I went too far with her eyes and should have left them lighter, much more effective .

(Be gentle with criticism , as I'm like a babe in the woods to the world of Art ;)

3 comments:

SF said...

WOW!! I am always in amazement by you Jane. I love your alien chickie - especially the way you have done the colour. You go take those classes, and then you can teach me too. :) Nice to see you last night. Your cartwheels were ballistic! xo

Kelly said...

Criticism? Well, that would imply that I could do better, and you certainly kick my butt. Love her, i've always liked futuristic art, I can sit and look at Giger books for hours.

Helen said...

No criticism from me either Jane! Awesome!!