Sunday, March 20, 2011

M.I.A




With only eleven days until the opening night of The Music Man at our community theater, I'm finding spare time to sit still and update Iri'ni to be a bit of a luxury. I will try this week as I have some great stuff to share but with long days at the theater, helping where we can and nightly rehearsals beginning tomorrow until opening, I think I'm kind of wishing for the spare time.

There is no balance at all in our lives at the moment but in recompense I'm madly in love with working backstage and hanging out with my new artsy mates. It's a really great time in my life right now but that balance I mentioned, or lack there of, I justify to myself that our children are learning a ridiculous amount about theater in general and an enormous appreciation for the incredible amount of work that goes into producing a show. They are also learning a very difficult but important lesson. They already know that they are completely without a doubt more important than anything or anybody in my life, but for just a small time, while we are an active part of something much larger than ourselves, what we want has to go on temporary hold while we help see this show through to launch. It is just for a very short time.and then it will all be over and life will go on as before.

There remain only eleven more days until the show opens.

Three shows and then The Music Man is finished.


As a homeschooling family volunteering so much of our time to a creative community project, I did have a very real fear that amongst other worries (you know, like negligence on my part :P), that our presence would be more hampering then helpful. I needn't have worried. The backstage crew and the theater staff are more than I could have hoped for. Wherever possible my boys are included and thought of. I know we are welcome and my boys feel like the theater is almost their second home. In fact, today I skipped out of rehearsal to see how things were going with our backstage crew (it's hard to keep away, when there's so much to be done) and one of the hardworking guys who is up to his eyeballs in construction to be done before the show opens said half joking, but mostly serious, 'Are you coming in tomorrow?' I reply, yep, of course, to which he replies, 'Right answer!'. Can't get more wanted then that really! So, to my relief, we're not in the way and we are wanted.

Kookaburra has been playing on the stage for the past week flying paper planes up and down the seating areas. He feels completely at ease and the stage doesn't frighten him. For a reserved little guy who even has a stage name, a line and tiny comedic role I feel thrilled to bits that he is so at ease on the stage or rather his playground.

We have all learned so much more about theater production in the past week and consequently have a greater encompassing view and appreciation of the show production then if we had remained safely tucked away as cast members.

I appreciate so very much this amazing time in our lives and the very special moments I'm sharing with Kookaburra during and after rehearsals.

Getting up the gumption to ask if we can help has also brought some very special people into our lives. I'm so very excited because a future has been painted for me where I'll be joining a small group of friends for weekly artsy gatherings in which I can gain mentoring and tutoring from my experienced artsy comrades. I keep pinching myself. The flurry of emotions in me this week came to a peak on Thursday night when I was so swollen and overwhelmed with all these feelings of hope and desire that I actually burst into tears when visiting my friends home. Honestly though, it was after viewing his home full of beautiful and original artworks and the knowledge that he sculpts as well kind of was going to make me cry regardless of anything else. I burn to create and the mere thought that I may finally receive tutelage in any fashion very soon, I'm utterly overcome with disbelief.

But here's the hard part.

Life is real.

Part of me is keeping my feet firmly rooted to the ground because for whatever the reason may be sometimes promises and hopes don't come through. But, if that were to happen, I know I'll be miserably disappointed but still through this past week with these arsty guys and our time at the theater I feel inspired and encouraged to go on with my drawings and sculpting alone because truly -

nothing ventured, nothing gained.


So Hurrah! for Courage and the Beautiful belief in Dreams!

1 comment:

Helen said...

Yay Jane - I am so, so happy that you have found a place where you are accepted, encouraged, challenged to create, and happy!!!! I only wish I had the chance to see this incredible production!!!
By the way - you look so gorgeous in that dress!!!!!!!
Enjoy every moment Jane - but give yourself a break when it's over as you're bound to miss it on so many levels!!!
Thinking of you.