Thursday, December 16, 2010

Rainy Days and a Confession


The weather has been hugely unseasonal recently. Although today seems clear that's generally how it all starts. Gradually the heat builds and we find our clothes sticking to us. My boys peel off their clothes and are soon running around in their underwear. Wish I had that liberty but therapy is just too costly. By the afternoon we can see dark clouds building ready to release their heavy outpouring by late afternoon. This weather hasn't caused us much difficulty except hampered our summer fun out door plans. These have been replaced with more, generally, sedate activities. Sunday, though, was an exception. It's Dadda's day off and we were stuck inside and the wet weather was really beginning to feel oppressive, so I guess my boys and I suffered a temporary madness :D! Wrestling and tickling, running and very loud yahooing (hugely liberating to be loud and have the downpour smother the noise) outside and in , was loads of fun and I know that I'm a Mumma of two little boys because I get the biggest, tightest hugs and I love you's from them afterwards :).


But all this wildness left me really flat. With two dogs that can waltz on inside whenever they please (Little House has four entrances and none are screened) and the near impossibility of getting our own feet completely dry every time we step outside, the floor was really beginning to look atrocious and I felt dismal. And who can contend with those odds? Why clean and only have to do it again the following day and the next and the next?! At this very moment little house is shut up, even though it's usually opened up around seven am or so, but my little men and I cleaned last night and we are savouring the results, pet free :) So back to Sunday, to help rid myself of the misery that had beset me, we went for a spin out to Iri'ni to check the water levels and how near, if at all, the water had risen in proximity to the eventual house pad. The water through the easement of the corner of our property had definitely come up a few meters and the house pad (as we already knew :) was high and dry.


I tried to catch a few shots of how heavy the rain was but as always I really don't think these images even come near to capturing it.


So now to that confession.

I rarely record our little life and times at the moment because I've found myself always wanting to turn the internet on 'for just five minutes'. Well, it is Never just that and my lack of self-control (eek! I've put it in print for the world to see) has led to all sorts of problems. The biggest being, my lack of interest in doing anything too much with my boys and I've noticed an alarming shortened attention span, which I attribute completely to facebook. I've been flicking between facebook and certain other favourite pages on my internet and am achieving nothing worthwhile.

I spoke to Mr E about this not so little problem and as always I go the extreme, vouching for no internet access at all, but thankfully Mr E, My White Knight, has come to my rescue. His solution has been very sensible and pretty funny considering my age. He has put a parental time limited control on access to the laptop completely and has also set the laptop to switch off at ten pm (as I found out the other night, Grrr.....).

Mr E is my balance point and I'm so thankful that I can turn to him whenever I'm in need . He is never critical and always loving. I can definitely learn from him.

3 comments:

Helen said...

Jane - you make me laugh!! "Therapy is too costly" - so true or we'd all be running around in the nude!! I love the look of your block of land, nice trees and that gorgeous long green grass. Lots of mowing ahead of you!! I truly pray it turns out to be your place of peace!! And poor old Mr E having three children to deal with!!! (You're such a child!!!)

SF said...

Your White NIght. :) I think I know where that came from. :) Gorgeous pics - wasn't the rain amazing??! xx

Kelly said...

Well, you know my struggles with the internet-i'm much happier without it. It's that whole self-regulation/unschooling debate for adults isn't it?