My husband was away for a while last week. He drove over four and a half thousand kilometers round trip with his Dad to see his Nana who had a stroke a few months ago. Nana E was so pleased to see her grandson and son that even though she can't say much, Mr E describes her eyes as lighting up in recognition of them both. He's so glad that he went but sad at seeing his loved one no longer in top form.
I'm no stranger to Mr E being away. Over the years he's managed to change his work so the hours have become increasingly family friendly but there have been times with call outs in the middle of night and on Christmas day itself. Months of him being only home on the weekend and days of travel away where he was missed by us but life went on. We always knew Mr E wasn't really all that far away. Invariably somewhere within our state. This trip was very different for me. The weather in Oz is terrible. Violent thunderstorms and flooding has become a common theme on the news. The route down to visit his Nana E we were worried the roads may be unsafe, in fact, until the last moment we weren't sure if he was going to be able to get all the way down there as some roads were blocked.
He did get down there okay but I was worried, irritable, grumpy and tetchy during his absence. My nights were plagued with horrid and vivid dreams. I just really couldn't wait for him to be home again.
The night he was due back, we guessed he'd arrive about two AM. I stayed awake and waited. Friends had described their return trip along the same road as long and challenging with parts of the road under water. My evening was spent cleaning, reading, wandering around aimlessly and waiting impatiently. I rarely cry but I sobbed over my mop and prayed like a crazy woman for his safe return.
Half past one he arrived and after the flush of relief, I tried to be a good wife and ask and listen about his trip but after awhile I selfishly confided in him all my troubles whilst he'd been absent and sought his comfort and indulged in more tears. I'm so grateful for Mr E. Patiently he listened and wiped away my tears, and comforted me.
It was a long absence for me but good things happen and life went on. One of my highlights was a surprise gift from a beautiful friend. This beautiful Poinsettia. It's vibrant colours make me smile as I pass it and I feel so special to have been given such a beautiful gift.
My boys and I read The Legend of the Poinsettia after our surprise guest had left and now ,the story has made the gift extra lovely and we just think it's the most beautiful plant to adorn the entrance of Little House.

1 comment:
Hey Jane - I really wanted to send you a lovely hand-made Christmas card full of love and messages of peace, but I am such a slacker (and I haven't got an address for you). So anyway, this is as good as it's gonna get, but the sentiment is deep and true. I wish you a very festive Christmas - one full of laughter, love and life - and a new year full of blessings. Take care of yourself and your beautiful family! Much love to you.
Post a Comment