It's Sunday morning and I'm working my way through some materials on homeschooling, parenting, life and Christianity. I'm sitting at my own desk with all the materials neatly arranged just waiting for me to move forward and commit fully to what I believe. To what I might know, if I let myself. But why do I hold back? Make excuses? Put it off until later? Raise impossible barriers so I can defend myself against those who may never ask and don't really have any business asking? I'm talking about faith. My faith. What I believe.
I'm such a people pleaser that I find it hard to move forward in my life and make a commitment to a belief system. It frightens me. What will my husband think? I know he's supportive to the utmost and possibly ridiculously so. Mr E always encourages and never belittles what I'm thinking about. He always listens and rarely if ever casts a judgment. Of course it is important to me and my marriage about what I believe and how that affects our family unit and also what I may come to expect from my beautiful husband but that doesn't necessarily make me the people pleaser I claim to be.
My values are like the leaves blowing in the wind. My closest girl friends are either non-believers or have a view of the universe that is radically different from my own. But I can always see their point. I can validate easily how they have come to their conclusions for themselves but when it comes to myself what do I have? Not that strength. Words fail me and my thoughts are incoherent, much less explainable and defensible. But I guess that's the key, defense. Why do I feel the need to defend myself with family, friends and acquaintances? Why do I need to feel validated by anothers' approval? It's ridiculous and crazy and makes me want to scream! Who am I? I have to identify myself through my own value system not someone else's which I can only sum up through their words and actions.
I'm also more afraid of something else.
If I believe in God and in Christ I know I'm not worthy. I know I can't live by all the 'rules'. I know I'll break them because I am weak. I am not virtuous. I have a mind that thinks what it will and I battle with myself and often lose.
So, I turn to prayer.
I've always told myself that I'll make a decision regarding my spirituality when I know enough. Bit of a cop out though isn't it. When would I truly know enough.
There are women in my life who are beautiful examples of Christian womanhood. When I am troubled, confused or want support it is with them I will find my strength.
So, I turn to prayer.
I've always told myself that I'll make a decision regarding my spirituality when I know enough. Bit of a cop out though isn't it. When would I truly know enough.
There are women in my life who are beautiful examples of Christian womanhood. When I am troubled, confused or want support it is with them I will find my strength.
And my husband.
And I will keep praying, continuously :)
(a small disclaimer - my blog is for my thoughts and never will I claim to be clear, concise and make any sense. But I value this space. I have somewhere to come and write about how I'm feeling. It aids me in clarity and I hope that it's understandable but if not, that's okay. Because already I feel my fear ease a little through 'talking' about it. Thanks for hanging out with me this morning and reading my ramble :D)
5 comments:
Darling girl,
We are ALL unworthy. That is the beautiful thing about God's grace - it casts away our sin and all that is left is love, relationship and grace. My mind is dreadful, it wanders and lies and conjures up all sorts of imaginative thoughts day and night which frustrate me, and I never seem to improve in that area - please believe me, if God's love for us was based on our attributes, our perfection, our action, deeds, whatever, than NONE of us would qualify!!
"Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us" (Titus 3).
Praying for you as always my friend. Love you loads, Min xx
Dear Jane - first, let me tell you as I sit with tears flowing down my face, what a true wonder you are!
I love your honesty about the battle that goes on inside you and I wish desperately there was more honesty like yours in the world.
Secondly, Jane - I struggle every day. With so many things. And the only constant in my life is the claim that "Jesus loves me" and as I strive towards Him, He is always holding out His hands, love, mercy and forgiveness towards me. (Just as well as I am far from virtuous!!)
But the more I experience His love, the more I want to deserve it.
The truth is Jane, I never will.
No-one deserves the sacrifice He made for us.
The Bible says that "while we were yet sinners Christ died for us" - not when we were good enough (or knew enough), or when we deserved it, but when we deserved it the least.
What amazing love is that!!!
He also wants you to see yourself through His eyes. To Him you are wonderful, an amazing wife and incredible mother, a courageous searcher for the truth, a caring and generous heart (and a seeker of the best homeschooling stuff!!)and so much more!!!
What God wants Jane, is the chance to show you just how much he cares about you - and just how much He loves you JUST THE WAY YOU ARE!!!.
God doesn't place expectations or rules on you to burden you - many of these so-called rules have been put in place by people and institutions who don't really understand God's amazing grace. And all of these "rules" have been broken a million times by all of us who are trying to do things in our OWN strength.
Jane, He loves you. Let Him.
Hi Jane, Perhaps I haven't earned the right to comment on this pot, but take what you will and throw the rest away. I echo Saminda's and Helen's comments. God loves us just as we are, not as we 'should' be. He also meets those who are earnestly seeking Him, can't remember the reference sorry. Continue to search for Him with all your heart and you will find Him in all His fullness. From Jen.
Hi ya Jen :D You are very welcome to visit my little patch and share your thoughts. In fact, like Helen and Min, I value your input :) Please visit again and see what craziness, or maybe not, that I'm thinking. And to Dear Min and Lovely Helen, I think you already know how much I value your support generally and especially in these particular and difficult matters. I've been wrenching with it for years and it will never be a simple thing for me so I especially love your support and openness.
Gratefully yours JM xo
I'm really not being flippant here (for once)-but I always thought you'd go for paganism. You surprised me.
Each to their own. You know I don't understand the pull to faith-especially with all the agonising it seems to cause!
Post a Comment