Monday, March 7, 2011

bit of this and a lotta that

It's terrible losing my blogger mojo. I have stacks of photos of interesting and fun things that we've been doing and blogging just hasn't made the cut of important things to do. So sad though because I love recording our doings.

So what to share? It's difficult to choose!

We did a great experiment triggered by Backyard Science on ABC schools TV through which we discovered The Science Toymaker online. We'll be chipping away at these 'toys' I think. I have some very excited little boys :D thanks to this find.

The experiment was called a Cartesian Diver and for great video instructions and loads of fantastic info on the science of the toy, just follow the links. My boys spent the whole of Friday arvo playing and experimenting by adding different weights to their divers through the addition or removal of blue tack and paper clips.




Our weekend was the most chilled that we've experienced in a long while. Mr E's Mum and Dad came up from Brisbane to visit and as always when we parted we were left a little sorrowful over the length between visits. We ate, drank, talked, and ate some more. Our boys received belated Christmas presents from their extended family - David Attenborough's Planet Earth, from their super fantastic Aunt, an absolutely awesome present But the other gift... I couldn't believe it when they unwrapped these huge water pistol gun things. Neither could our boys. They were pretty darn ecstatic and by this time I felt it was just too mean to say no. I feel a little like a joy killer sometimes, but water pistols! We have managed to keep them out of our home for nearly ten years so I guess we didn't do so bad. I'm not going to pretend like it wasn't fun though, to see our boys running madly through the rain splashing each other with the super soaker. So I guess it'll be something I'll get over. Just one of the many minor adjustments we make in our parenting as our little men grow, and we're always growing as parents.




Kookaburra pulled me aside before bed and asked my opinion of the water pistols (more like mega guns!). I was pleased with his consideration. He said he knew that this was something that we (well... I) didn't want in our home but after some chatting I reassured him that with a pure intention of fun and a few ground rules ('give each other room fella's!') I can't deny the fact they were having harmless fun with their new toys. It seriously wasn't that long ago when I was hooting and hollering through my own childhood yard, shooting up my baby brothers as a cowgirl and lo and behold, none of us are scarred or malicious from the experience. So the Water guns can stay.

Sunday passed in a lazy haze of endless cups of coffee and a continuous dragging out of games to play. A beautiful way to spend the day. I did more planning and am excited about my purchase from Little Acorn Learning of their March Enrichment Guide. I can't actually say anything about it due to copyright but I'm so pleased to have a laid out way to bring the magic into our home again.


Today we began with some nicely stacked (overwhelming) piles of books on our kitchen table and progressed outside for some yoga and games. Received warmly by Kookaburra but Kangaroo wants me right beside him, being hands on. It's nice to be needed. After this he was off and pleased to give the Yoga a go.



Hmmm.... What else?

Well, we've had cloud watching and painting, hat decorating for the musical and so many other things which is keeping us all pretty busy and happy.






This week we're hoping to get to two free workshops run by Landcare. One on Reptile identification and the other about identifying our foreshore friends - they're not all seagulls they're saying. We can't wait!

I hope I blog more often because this was a mega overload catch up before I zip to quickly put together some tea for my men and head out to musical rehearsal with my Kookaburra.

Life is busy and we're balancing it okay but as always, I need more sleep. Today I've been snippish and snappish with my boys and they really don't deserve my being frustrated with them over such small things (but honestly, boys farting while I'm eating always irritates me :P).

Till next time, I hope life is peaceful and fulfilling for you all.

.............................................................................

Exciting news!

So whilst downloading my photos for tonight's post our big boy, I'm so proud of him, walked in bubbling over with news. He's just returned from his Karate lessons and announced happily:

'I'm going to have my first grading for Karate on Wednesday night. I'm going to be a Yellow belt!'

I Love my boys :) I love being their Mumma. Bad Smells, triumphs and all.

1 comment:

Amanda said...

Love your catch up post Jane, I've missed you. Sounds like a VERY full week. I know what you mean about sounds and smells - with three boys and one big boy, well we'll say no more! Love your work!!