Thursday, October 28, 2010

Just say YES :D


I can get pretty uptight! What's so wrong with eating his tea with chopsticks? Kangaroo is already a very messy eater so to throw chopsticks into the mix.... oh dear me!


Yesterday I read an article over at Science@home which has inspired me. The title Young Scientists - Doing Science with Babies, Toddlers and Kids written by science teacher Deb Hodgkin, pretty much sums up the content. It was a timely reminder and sweet relief to read. I needed a gentle prod to not be so rigid with lessons (um... and life too I guess :S) and to let go, to be okay with disastrous results and mess, after all I do have two very competent helpers. But most of all I need to remember that my boys have not been here before and they need to make mistakes and get things right for themselves. They aren't always learning when I just provide the answers.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The same applies to us dearest (mistakes, haven't done this before).
Mr E

Deb said...

Thanks, I'm really glad it hit the right note for you.
I admit one of the reasons I wrote it is that I definitely need the reminder too! I have a terrible time stepping back and letting go.

Anonymous said...

That is so true. We need our children to make their own mistakes, otherwise how will they learn. I really should remember that. Says a very overprotective mother.