Monday, November 22, 2010

These are the Days of Play


Well, it's all been pretty quiet event and action wise on this here south eastern front but my little natives have been anything but quiet and in fact have been a little loopy. The weather has been unseasonably wet but when the rain has ceased for the occasional few moments we have ventured on out and enjoyed the brief snatches of sunshine at the park or otherwise.


After cleaning out our house and shed so thoroughly (I've been on a spring clean and a 'if we haven't used it in x amount of time, pass it on' bend for about two months now, which naturally meant we abstain from thrifting trips for awhile) I thought that we deserved a peek into the Thrift Shops. And 'Oh Wow!' didn't we score :D For less than a twenty we went home with a heaping pile of quality books for mainly Kangaroo to enjoy and also unearthed an amazing array of 'new' dress ups for both Kookaburra and Kangaroo. And haven't their imaginations been on the buzz since.

The little Green cap Kangaroo is wearing in the pic above was from China's Chairman Mai Communist era, complete with the little red star. We explained the little hats origins to which Kangaroo took inspiration and played out going to war for the next few hours. He would sweetly kiss me and say tender goodbyes and walk slowly up the hallway to catch his train but would pause every few steps and lift his tiny hand up slowly for a mournful little wave and make me promises of a safe return before continuing slowly out the door. Such a fun little chap.


But as always Kookaburra returns to his fairly constant building projects. His current project he had pushed to the back of his pile about six months ago but has decided this week to give it another go. He pulled it out again and is so stoked by the new found ease with which he is be able to do this once frustrating task. Hooray for growing older :)


I love this $2 op shop find!!! I was hunting for something like this after we watched The Fox and the Child a few months ago for Kookaburra to carry around his notebook, pens and treasured items in, but the best I had been able to turn up isn't even a scratch on this fair dinkum leather satchel.

It's the sort of thing I imagine a small boy from the forties may have slung over his shoulder on his way off to school.


We read Little Tim and the Brave Sea Captain which has inspired some great imaginative play but the sweetest of which was sharing hot cocoas with Christian before venturing back out to sea.

Rarely do I purchase fluffy's or teddy's from op shops but Kangaroo pleaded pitifully for his new friend Christian the Lion and justified and talked me into taking the crazy haired, immediately freshly scrubbed, much loved, dear new friend home. How on earth did he justify? Well, after I said no, he explained clearly and as calmly as Kangaroo possibly can, that this was in fact Christian the Lion. We first met Christian from the famous You tube video and secondly from two great children's books we found consequently because of the video, at our local library. I could then see his connection and so now Christian has come home with us and he happily joins another scrappy looking previously acquired feline named Duma. Together the cats are inseparable from our little mate Kangaroo's side. Except, I should admit, for today's horrified, frenzied, screaming meltdown moment when Minna , our mischievous puppy, pinched Christian and took off with him into the back yard. Christian was safely retrieved but Kangaroo was still admonishing poor little Minna for hours after!

2 comments:

Vic said...

Love some op shop finds! Hopefully the rain has eased for a while too, my boys are a little loopy! xx

SF said...

Lovely little peek into your week Jane! I miss you. Yes, this weather is madness. :/ So wet and bleak and today so windy I keep watching the gum trees, certain one is going to come down on our house!!! Great op shop finds, and I smiled picturing your littlest playing "going off to war". :) His imagination is next to none. xxx