Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Changing our Morning Chaos into.....

a time when we connect and are enriched.

For months our morning rhythm had been lacking a little glue. The 'something' that would bring my boys and I together a little more than a bowl of cereal at the kitchen table after chores. So I searched the Homeschool Mummy Blogger World for a solution and what I found has been so simple and has made such a marvelous difference to us. Drum roll please...... introducing........

'The Morning Basket'!

I wish I remembered whose blog it was that I first came across this idea so I could give credit where it is due, but unfortunately, I'm so sorry, I don't! Regardless, I still want to share what gets our brains warmed up for the morning. What gets us chatting and in sync with each other. Before we had The Morning Basket we usually shared a book over brekky but this idea has provided us a sense of structure and purpose and somewhere to go once we complete a book.

So this is how it works. I usually finish my cereal first and then I read while my boys are still slowly consuming theirs. We have a Poetry selection.....



followed by a character enrichment type of book....




By this time Kookaburra has finished his cereal and is ready to take his turn reading aloud. Kookaburra has been a very reluctant reader but taking turns and looking upon the reading aloud as sharing a story rather than practicing has made a lovely difference to his outlook on reading. Whilst Kookaburra still rarely goes and reads a book for himself, he is very willing and even Happy to take his turn reading aloud. I've thought that perhaps because we read aloud so often through out our day that maybe Kookaburra has less of an inclination for personal reading because for the moment he's satisfied with what we're doing.

Kookaburra reads a story from his children's Bible.....



followed by his own poetry selection.....




after Kookaburra's readings we end our Morning Basket with a Narration selection which both my boys generally participate in.....




Finally we close with a prayer.

By about half seven we're all finished and my boys are at a lose end and usually want to draw, build lego and sometimes squabble. To help me out and allow me some time to get the rest of my chores done and prepare for our day, I've been playing audio books which they listen too whilst (supposedly) doing a quite activity. Our current selection is The Cat of Bubastes by G A Henty (which is free!!!! Thanks Librivox :D).

The Morning Basket has made a great difference to our morning. At the start of our day my boys and I are gathered together at the breakfast table learning, laughing and chatting. It has been a wonderful way to help set the tone for the day. We are enjoying being together and are establishing our rhythm right from the very start.

2 comments:

Vic said...

Lovely! You can never have too much reading in a day! xx

SF said...

Love this too. :) I would love to introduce a Morning Basket into our mornings.... though we have a very noisy William who makes reading aloud quite difficult atm!