Late last night I was snuggled down under the covers in my comfy bed devouring my latest book with the thought of our early morning start nagging at the back of my mind. Stubbornly and maybe a tad selfishly, with a good mix of defiance for wanting something completely for me, I ignored the fact I should be sleeping and continued to read.
I'm regularly amused by how my life works. I feel led to things - ideas and opportunities - and even when I want to turn away from it, the message is going to find me anyway.
Back in September, Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert was a cinema must do but, well, I tend to shy away from whatever the latest 'thing' might be. I've never been cool and I can't be bothered starting now. But, faithful, loving daughter that I am :P found that my Mother wanted to see this movie. I Googled a review and the commentary was mostly negative. Basically the review boiled down to, if you're unhappy in your life, with your job and your partner, don't see this movie as it will likely be a negative and unsettling influence on your life. I'm happy, I just choose what to put into my head proactively - if I can. So despite my Mother's wishes I made it clear I had no intention of seeing this movie which then changed when we both visited my Sister Sunshine. She shared our Mother's sentiment. Ultimately, I'm pretty easy going so we ended up at the cinema watching, with initial misgivings, this said movie and... I Loved it :)
Ha! Hilarious!!! :D
Then for Christmas I was gifted the book in a Secret Santa. So hopefully, after all my rambling, someone may see how I come to feel that I've been led.
I'm only a dozen or so chapters into Ms Gilberts' novel but have found myself struck by her ideas on God, because they are similar to my own. It's kind of a Hallelujah moment for me. I have for so long wanted to identify my thoughts with someone elses' faith path. To know I'm not alone in my intuition. Until now I was yet to find anyone else who thinks the same or even remotely similar to myself. I won't be going into the details of Gilbert's ideas on God because I don't want to get into a theological discussion and come off the short end for my lack of knowledge :) I just wanted to share how I'm enjoying my own increasingly gaining strength in my right to my beliefs and perhaps encourage others to be strong in their own journey.
Although the book has kept me awake at night and interested, I haven not been enthralled by some of the authors life choices but I can appreciate the journey she has taken and be amazed by the courage she had to make drastic changes in a life that, to her, was really broken.
So that was what kept me up late last night but why was I out of bed and out the door so early with my boys this morning? Six thirty am we were in the park blinking blearily in the harsh summer morning light ready for our first Tai Chi lesson with my Awesome Aunty. Awesome Tai Chi teacher, cool crafty chick extraordinaire. Both boys made it through the warm ups pretty well, about fifteen minutes, but Kangaroo took a swift exit for brekky about then while Kookaburra and I continued.
Kookaburra intently watched my Awesome Aunty, concentrating hard and imitating as his interest took him on and off for the remainder of the hour. Kookaburra really seemed to enjoy the lesson and has said that he's keen to go back next week but then too, that could be because we played in the park afterwards. I'll give them the the benefit of doubt hey?!
Today was a great day for trying new things. After Tai Chi and our park play we packed up our craft projects and headed to my Aunts craft group for company and a devoted time for crafting. My boys each had a little box and an inexhaustible supply of collage materials and set to work creating little houses complete with wallpaper, doors and windows, floor coverings and even pictures hanging on the walls. Pleased with the results we made little wooden peg people to play in the houses. Great fun and my boys stayed put creating and concentrating for an hour and a half.
When we said our goodbyes, we noticed a cycle velodrome in the same area we were visiting and discovered that the gates are unlocked so take a guess what we're doing tomorrow morning!
By the way, Happy New Year all!
2 comments:
Lovely post J! I've not read Eat, Pray, Love but have heard mixed reviews. Maybe I should just give it a go! Faith is such a personal thing, you feel what you feel and shouldn't have to explain or justify it to anyone. Go Tai Chi! xx
Eat, pray, love - hmm - two of my favourite things and one that I struggle with!! Anyway, will have to check it out - probably the book rather than the movie! Thanks for that - I'm actually bookless at the moment so it's a jolly good excuse to head off to the library! Love the boys' house - what a great idea.
And a very happy festive New Year to you and yours Jane.
Post a Comment