...Vulnerable = No Can Do Compadre!
I might get hurt!
Came across this today
"Confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The earnest prayer of a righteous person has great power and produces wonderful results."
James 5:16 (NLT)
and thought 'Yep, more honesty would be good. Less of the unintentional belittlement through 'helpful' advice on how I could be doing something so much better if only I did it their way because it's so perfect :P!'.
I may be the only person to feel this and I'm going to be okay with putting it out there and may enjoy the near silence with my friends the crickets but I think that if there was more real support and less judgment and empty talk then I wouldn't feel so cautious about having real, open and honest relationships with others. I've become so protective since becoming a mother that I know I now bring a somewhat cynical, at times, attitude to my friendships.
I know!
That's so bad right?!
You don't have to tell me, I live it :S
It's an inner attitude which really frustrates me. Hmm.... I'm worried I'm not making a clear point of what I feel... I guess I'm trying to say that I have been the victim of and yep, I'll be honest, a perpetrator of, using a shared problem to gain support in a backhanded manner instead of receiving or giving the support that I or my friend needed .
What I'm getting at is if I was to share a problem with A (A is nobody by and by, but it could actually have been me :(, A would console me nicely yes but would in fact unintentionally turn the situation into something about themselves by pointing out how well they're doing with their family (children) and really I should be doing it their way because it is, The Way. So what's happening is that I'm actually supporting my friend A by making them feel great about what they're doing because if only I was doing it their way then I would get it right. Except there are no right ways, only different methods which are unique to each family. Sure we can definitely learn from each other and trust me, oh my goodness, have I! But golly gosh, gee heck, I would love to feel less judged, more supported and have a more open and trusting heart to give better exactly that. That which I dearly want and recognize that I have been fortunate to receive.
Back to 'The Way', I respect and admire differences. Ideas are what keeps our world moving forward. Could you imagine a cookie cutter world in which we were all the same. Yech! Well, only if you were like me! Bahahaha, so kidding!
The verse sounds so lovely doesn't it. We confess in all honesty that not only are we imperfect but despite that or perhaps because of it we will be loved more by our friends - when we're vulnerable, trusting, honest and real.
I'll share my pain, confusion, frustration and heartache and I will be helped into spilling my tears. Then I will be lifted up in Prayer to the one who will heal and forgive. And I know that when my friend is in need, I may not have the right words to say but I'll be needed there and I will readily give the same. I'll wrap my friend in love, I'll protect and care for them when they are in need. I will lift them in prayer and pray for their forgiveness and healing as they have done for me. I can be counted on to not judge. There will be no convoluted wording to build my self-esteem at anothers expense and I will control the nasty little voices that try to crowd out what is right and I realize that others suffer similarly.
Maybe I have the interpretation of the verse wrong but I guess I'm taking what I need from it tonight and when I next come across it, I'll learn something else again from it but tonight I know that I need to trust more, love more, pray more, be open more, be real more.
3 comments:
Dear Jane -
We all say we want honesty - but hardly any of us are prepared to hear it or offer it and deal with the consequences.
A lot of things need to be put aside to allow honesty between people - mainly our own insecurities.
In this day and age when relationships are so surface value - it takes a long TIME to trust someone and allow honesty in that relationship.
Time is our most precious commodity - and using it to share our inner fears, desires, heartaches, failures, dreams etc. to people who do not deserve it, is not worth the effort.
Sounds a bit harsh when I see it in print, but these days I keep my circle of trusted friends very small.
You know my favourite quote: When you are in jail, your close friends will come and bail you out, but your best friend will be in the cell with you going "woohoo - lets do that again"
Not sure how appropriate that is, but I like it.....
(And yes - a REAL friendship does involve non-judgemental encouragement, endless love, many tears, plenty of time and energy and bucket loads of prayer - and it is worth every second!!!!!)
Lots of love to you.
Dear Jane - sorry, it's me again. Lay awake last night thinking about you and wondering if I should have said what I did.
Too late now I guess, but I must add something to my ravings.
The bottom line, or the heart of any relationship is acceptance.
It sounds simple but it's not so easy when it comes to the crunch.
We all have some prejudices/issues/pre-conceived ideas about behaviours (especially in children)and are good at making snap judgements.
Scarey but true.
But if you don't feel accepted - then it's probably not a real friendship - and therefore not worth your time and energy.
On the other side of the coin, I also know that we women are complicated creatures and often imagine things that aren't necessarily the case.
(Oh my goodness - I'm beginning to sound paranoid, neurotic and schitzophrenic - I'd better make do with just my imaginary friends!!)
But real friends can be found out there Jane - people that we can be honest with, vulnerable to and feel accepted by. It's just hard work sorting through the rest of the rubbish.
In the meantime, hang with the gorgoeus Mr E, your awesome boys and your lovely Mum! - I know for a fact that they think you are wonderful!
Hello, Queen! :)
Thanks for stopping by my space! Hope you're not too affected by the flooding. Depending on how much snow we have (it varies from winter to winter), and how quickly it melts, we get different levels of "flooding". Some years our pond overflows over the lane way and our basement floods. For this, most Canadians have what's called a sump pump...it pumps the water up and out! Some years if it melts gradually, it just seeps in gently. One never knows! Maybe you'll visit us here someday and see for yourself!
Post a Comment