Saturday, January 22, 2011

Parrot Painting


Last week we borrowed a great crafty book from the library which is something to write about in itself because normally I loathe them. Unlike most of the other's we've experienced (which nurtured the loathing) this books instructions are clear and the projects are actually do-able with the kiddo's. Here we tried our hand at the 'Parrot Painting'. I'm finding that if we can, and if I can get them to sit still for a short moment craft works best if I demonstrate first. It helps set the project clear in their heads of the how to and what their finished creation may be like.


* First draw the rounded, plump body of your bird with the little head in profile. Add a little eye, a beak and a crest. Draw a branch running beneath the parrot and then add two toes for each foot holding onto your branch.

It's funny that I followed the instructions and began with the body but all the kids started with the branch :) I think that makes sense, they know how far down the page they need to draw for the bottom of their parrot.


* Don't worry about wings, we'll be using handprints for that. But if you know kids they'll probably draw the wings anyway :D Four out of five here did and one didn't want the handprints at all because his wings were already great!


* Start painting.


* The kids were really interesting to observe. Kookaburra naturally wanted to paint Hermes, Kangaroo wanted a Sulphur Crested Cockatoo like his mate Ray's at the Wildlife Sanctuary, Danger Mouse then wanted the same, whilst Princess Cupcake and Princess Calamity wanted the same as the picture in the craft book which was very beautiful and colourful.

I noticed something a little alarming. Poor little Calamity wanted hers exactly like the picture in the book. She wanted to erase and correct and the poor little cricket was starting to become upset. Meany that I am, I wouldn't let her change because I felt that by trying to be so exact and when the end product isn't concerned with having the project 'correct', it was better for her to relax into her creation and accept it for it's imperfections. I reminded her that the book s images were computer created so they lacked personality which is what she would give it. My little Calam' seemed really tense, uncertain and hesitant. Was it her mood today, perhaps it's personality or is this the product of schooling that I've been reading so much about? Even here, at home, in a safe place, Calamity is so wrapped up in getting it right and having a product that pleases that she was having trouble moving forward and embracing her own creation. My wish for my niece is to get her into this art space I'm dreaming about at Iri'ni where I can encourage her to go nuts, make art works as big as the ceiling and just cover a wall in a riot of colour with no form. or purpose other than the joy of the movement and colour. Not only loads of fun but I believe it would help unlock her personal creative expression. I dream about getting all the kiddo's to create without fear of getting it wrong. I know I'm going to love it too ;)!


* Adding tail feathers.


* The inspiration.


* Kangaroo's very cool Cockatoo :D


* And after having so much trouble last week with trying to draw Hermes exactly as he see's him, Kookaburra felt pretty pleased with his painting of his pet bird. I love them so much that over the weekend (hopefully) we'll get to making some frames for these beauty's.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

HI
I know how she feels. I am perfectionist. And if it is not exactly or anywhere near the original I wont be bothered as I feel so inadequate and useless. Unfortunately!!!
K.

Helen said...

Aaah the free expression of children - hang on to it Jane before some book or other tell them that this is how it SHOULD be done!!
(Have I mentioned that you are amazing!)- not only do you do it for your children, but for others too!
I can see your little Crafty kids group at Iri'ni - hang on to that dream Jane. You can do it!!
PS Thanks for the award - I'm not sure I deserve it, but thankyou!!